The City of Tracy was first platted in 1875 and originally called Shetek Bend or Shetek Station in recognition of settlers at Lake Shetek who had requested a railroad stop closer to them. In 1881, Tracy was incorporated as a village and J.M. Wardell was elected the first chairman of the village trustees.

For many years, Tracy was known as a railroad town. Tracy pays homage to its railroad history every Labor Day weekend when it celebrates Box Car Days. The annual festival got its start in 1921. Strong agricultural ties have also benefited the local economy throughout Tracy’s history.

Tracy’s Municipal Building was constructed in 1938 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Planning is currently underway to conduct an intensive survey on the building, a precursor to applying for the National Historic Register. Currently, Tracy has one building listed on the National Historic Register—the former First National Bank of Tracy. Located at 101 3rd Street, the building currently houses a restaurant.

On June 13, 1968, an F-5 tornado struck the community, killing nine people injuring dozens. In the aftermath, the City of Tracy showed great resilience as the community banded together to rebuild.

As it looks to the future, the City of Tracy continues to honor its past and works to build on the foundation laid by those who have come before.